WEBINAR – Operation Safe & Secure: Preventing School Violence By Addressing School and Student Risk Factors
JOIN US WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 13, 2013 AT 11:30 AM OR 2:00 PM ET!
Almost 400 school shootings have occurred in North America during the past 20 years — most notably at Columbine High School, Virginia Tech University, and now Sandy Hook Elementary School in CT and Taft Union High School in CA.
The national dialogue has recently focused primarily on gun rights/control, increasing law enforcement presence in schools, providing bullet-proof items/structures and even weapons training for school personnel. But, as educators, we must make sure we address underlying risk factors, which research has shown can indicate a propensity in young people toward violent outbursts. During this 90-minute webinar, nationally known speaker and school consultant Mike Paget will discuss these factors, and how they can be addressed in schools to create a safer and more secure environment for students and professional educators.
This webinar will cover:
- School Violence Risk Factors
- What We Know from research)
- School Risk Surveys (examples provided)
- Student Risk Factors — 6 Red Flags
- Identifying When Students Pose a Danger to Themselves and/or Others
- The Less Obvious Lessons Educators Must Consider from these School Tragedies
- When to Ask for Help
- Social Factors Including Bullying, Unresolved Grief & Social Alienation and their Impact on Violent Outbursts in Young People
- Increasing Pro-Social Engagement in High-Risk Youth
- Assessing Student Connectedness/Alienation
- 5 Barriers to Sensible School Safety Reform and How to Navigate Them
- Exemplary Ways to Communicate Lessons from these Tragedies to Students, Staff, Parents and Community Representatives
- Other Urgently Needed Approaches to Violence Prevention and Intervention in Schools
- Understand how to use a school risk assessment to identify areas needing improvement such as inclusion, bullying and relationship-building.
- Discover best practices to eliminate social barriers and cultivate a pro-social environment.
- Be cognizant of key warning signs in students and develop a plan to reduce potential threats.
- Learn practical insights and skills to help high-risk students improve their coping skills and resiliency, and seek help when needed.
About the Presenter
Mike currently works as a state consultant for students with severe emotional and behavioral problems. He has worked with ODD, CD and other special needs students for more than 25 years. Mike is an innovator of effective approaches for working with extremely challenging students. He has conducted seminars across the U.S. and Canada for educators on creative techniques for managing classroom behavior, student aggression and crisis intervention. He is co-author of the books, Aggressive and Violent Students and Defying the Defiance.
Available for attendees from the same school system or private practice.
|3-5 Attendees||10% off|
|6-9 Attendees||15% off|
|10-19 Attendees||20% off|
|20+ Attendees||25% off|
for multiple participants at same site using same access; additional fee for more than 8 CE certificates
In order to be eligible for group discounts, we must receive ALL registrations at the SAME time.