Can responsibility be taught? How can educators move from “making” students behave to helping students learn self-management? This is a major, but necessary, paradigm shift – moving from enforcement to a focus on student growth and providing essential life skills.
Many students will grasp for any available path to avoid taking responsibility. Do some of the following excuses sound familiar?
- “I didn’t know”
- “No one told me that”
- “I’ve done it before and no one cared”
- “She/he just doesn’t like me”
- “Other kids were doing it too”
These excuses all represent common “exits” that students take off the Road to Responsibility. In this timely 90-minute webinar, author Larry Thompson will discuss how traditional discipline practices actually allow students to continue using those exits to avoid responsibility. He will also share six essential practices that will close those exits and help students learn self-management. These six essential practices include:
- Benefits for Changing Behavior
- Clear Expectations
- Emotional Control
- Leadership in Challenging Moments
As a former principal, special needs teacher, regular ed teacher and coach, Mr. Thompson will discuss Responsibility-Centered strategies that will help teachers and administrators keep students in class – and help students learn and grow in the process.
In this webinar, attendees will learn to:
- Adopt best practices for creating a school culture in which students take ownership of their actions.
- Master techniques for dealing with different low-to-high intensity disciplinary cases.
- Close exits on the road to responsibility with emotional control.
- Adopt methods to drastically decrease disciplinary referrals to the office.
- Cultivate clear, appropriate and consistent expectations to prevent and address disruptive student behaviors.
- Click here to register for the 11:30 am Eastern Time WEBINAR.
- Click here to register for the 11:30 am Eastern Time SITE LICENSE
- Click here to register for the 2:00 pm Eastern Time WEBINAR.
- Click here to register for the 2:00 pm Eastern Time SITE LICENSE
WHO SHOULD ATTEND:
- Classroom Teachers
- Principals & Administrators
- Office Staff
- School Counselors (PK-12)
- Student Support Personnel
- Intervention Specialists
- At-Risk Coordinators
- School Climate Directors
ABOUT THE PRESENTER:
Former National Principal of the Year candidate Larry Thompson is a nationally known speaker and school consultant. He is the developer of the Responsibility-Centered Discipline program. This program helps professional educators to increase student compliance with core beliefs and guidelines, while requiring them to take personal ownership of their actions. It emphasizes specific skills and practices that help school personnel to deal effectively with student-behavior scenarios from low-to-high emotional intensity, while retaining a sense of calm professional and personal confidence. Larry is the author of: Roadmap to Responsibility: The Power of Give ‘em Five to Transform Schools, Give ‘Em Five: A Five Step Approach to Handling Challenging Moments with Children, Give ‘Em Five: A Five Step Approach for Handling Challenging Moments with Adolescents, and Ricky Ritat Goes to School.