Innovative Schools Summit speaker Dr. Pedro Noguera says the disadvantaged student faces an array of interconnected disparities – and that educators must be mindful of the presence or absence of student privilege.
Sociologist, author and UCLA Distinguished Professor of Education Dr. Pedro Noguera will present a plenary session entitled Creating Conditions for Academic Excellence: What it Takes to Leave No Child Behind.
The At-Risk & Struggling Students Conference focuses on evidence-based programs and strategies that educators can use to prevent dropouts and to help students experience success in school. More than 1.2 million students in the United States and Canada drop out of high school each year (with the percentages skewed toward males, low-income and minority students). Millions more are considered at-risk because they exhibit ongoing disciplinary problems, impulsive behavior, truancy issues and have become frustrated or disengaged. The long-term cost of failing to engage these students is tremendous, since they are much less likely to transition successfully into adulthood and to achieve economic self-sufficiency. Join us in Atlanta to gain valuable insights and to explore practical ways to help this critical portion of your school’s population. REGISTER NOW!
- School Leadership Strategies for Motivating At-Risk Students to Achieve in School and Life
- The Teacher 50 – Critical Questions for Inspiring Classroom Excellence
- How to Motivate the Unmotivated: Teaching with Poverty in Mind
- How to Reach the (Sometimes) Hard-to-Reach
- Solomon’s Court: Solving Unsolvable Problems For At-Risk Kids
- The KHAOS Mindset (Keep Healing And Overcoming Struggles)
PRE-CONFERENCE OPPORTUNITIES – 6/21/17 – Register for a conference bundle!
Morning Sessions: 9:00 am – 12:00 pm
- Brian Mendler, M.Ed. – Motivating & Managing Hard-to-Reach, Uninterested & Disruptive Students
- Rick Fernandez, Ed.D. – Hiring and Staffing for Success with Turnaround Schools
- Rick Shaw – Active Shooter: Lessons Learned from Sandy Hook & Other Violent Incidents
Afternoon Sessions: 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
- Larry Thompson, M.Ed. – Closing the Exits off the Road to Responsibility: Supportive, Non-Exclusionary Discipline
- Mike Paget, M.Ed. – Positive Behavioral Supports with Students Who Are Wired Differently
- Brad Chapin, MS, LCP, LMLP – Self- Regulation Training: Framework for Success
- Mike Shaw – Youth Risk-Taking Behavior: Shifting the Mindset