NextGen School Safety Keynote Speaker Michael Dorn says schools commonly overemphasize preparing for active shooter scenarios or targeted acts of violence – which may make them more vulnerable when it comes to other types of school weapons incidents.
SafeHavens International Executive Director and former Chief of Police Michael Dorn will present a keynote session entitled Beyond Active Shooter – Preventing and Preparing for Active Shooter, Active Killer and Acts of Terrorism in Atlanta. He will also conduct the following breakout sessions:
- Weapons Concealment and Detection
- Evaluation and Management of Anonymous Threats of School Violence – Practical and Flexible Approaches
At the NextGen School Safety Conference, school safety coordinators, school resource officers, principals, heads of school, superintendents, board members, student services directors, risk management directors, loss control coordinators, health services coordinators, school nurses and human resources personnel will come together to focus on all aspects of improving the physical safety of students and educators. REGISTER NOW!
PRE-CONFERENCE OPPORTUNITIES – 6/21/17 – Register for a conference bundle!
Morning Sessions: 9:00 am – 12:00 pm
- Brian Mendler, M.Ed. – Motivating & Managing Hard-to-Reach, Uninterested & Disruptive Students
- Rick Fernandez, Ed.D. – Hiring and Staffing for Success with Turnaround Schools
- Rick Shaw – Active Shooter: Lessons Learned from Sandy Hook & Other Violent Incidents
- Craig McCullough – Autism & Trauma Connections and Interactions – What Educators Need to Understand
Afternoon Sessions: 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
- Larry Thompson, M.Ed. – Closing the Exits off the Road to Responsibility: Supportive, Non-Exclusionary Discipline
- Mike Paget, M.Ed. – Positive Behavioral Supports with Students Who Are Wired Differently
- Brad Chapin, MS, LCP, LMLP – Self- Regulation Training: Framework for Success
- Mike Shaw – Youth Risk-Taking Behavior: Shifting the Mindset