One of our most tweeted about speakers, Principal Baruti Kafele recognizes that there are obstacles to learning, but does not accept poverty as one of them.
Principal Kafele will present a plenary session entitled The Teacher 50 – Critical Questions for Inspiring Classroom Excellence in Atlanta. He will also present a keynote session entitled School Leadership Strategies for Motivating At-Risk Students to Achieve in School & Life at the At-Risk & Struggling Students Conference.
The At-Risk & Struggling Students Conference focuses on evidence-based programs and strategies that educators can use to prevent dropouts and to help students experience success in school. More than 1.2 million students in the United States and Canada drop out of high school each year (with the percentages skewed toward males, low-income and minority students). Millions more are considered at-risk because they exhibit ongoing disciplinary problems, impulsive behavior, truancy issues and have become frustrated or disengaged. The long-term cost of failing to engage these students is tremendous, since they are much less likely to transition successfully into adulthood and to achieve economic self-sufficiency. Join us in Atlanta to gain valuable insights and to explore practical ways to help this critical portion of your school’s population. REGISTER NOW!
PRE-CONFERENCE OPPORTUNITIES – 6/21/17 – Register for a conference bundle!
Morning Sessions: 9:00 am – 12:00 pm
- Brian Mendler, M.Ed. – Motivating & Managing Hard-to-Reach, Uninterested & Disruptive Students
- Rick Fernandez, Ed.D. – Hiring and Staffing for Success with Turnaround Schools
- Rick Shaw – Active Shooter: Lessons Learned from Sandy Hook & Other Violent Incidents
- Craig McCullough – Autism & Trauma Connections and Interactions – What Educators Need to Understand
Afternoon Sessions: 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
- Larry Thompson, M.Ed. – Closing the Exits off the Road to Responsibility: Supportive, Non-Exclusionary Discipline
- Mike Paget, M.Ed. – Positive Behavioral Supports with Students Who Are Wired Differently
- Brad Chapin, MS, LCP, LMLP – Self- Regulation Training: Framework for Success
- Mike Shaw – Youth Risk-Taking Behavior: Shifting the Mindset